The Steinbach Skimmers Competitive Swim Club may be broken into 3 distinct swim tiers based on technical ability, speed and endurance. We ensure that each swimmer is engaged in the right drills and practices for their ability. To join any of our programs, swimmers need to be assessed by one of our coaches. Tier placement and advancement is based on individual swimmer’s development plans and assessment by our coaching staff. Program placement is based on skill level and not age dependent.
Skimmers Level 1:
The Level 1 program is designed for those swimmers new to competitive speed swimming. The program will build the key skills, techniques and endurance for competitive swimming. Level 1 swimmers will learn the 4 competitive strokes, starts and turns. We require swimmers to be at least 6 years old and have successfully completed Swim Kids 4 (Red Cross), Swimmer 3 (Life Saving Society), or have the equivalent skills.
- 50m front crawl continuously
- Participation in at least 2 swim meets per season is expected (1 SC & 1 LC)
- 2 hours of practice weekly
Skimmers Level 2:
The Level 2 program is for swimmers who have learned the strokes and technique of the 4 competitive swims. They will begin to tweak technique and build strength and endurance through training.
- Achieve all criteria of Level 1 plus…
- Swim 200m continuously in under 5 minutes
- Swim MB times in 50m front, back and breast without DQs
- Swim 25m fly proficiently
- Execute a proper track start
- Working toward provincial A qualifying times
- Participation in at least 4 swim meets per season is expected (2 SC & 2 LC)
- 3 hours of practice weekly
Skimmers Level 3:
The Level 3 program focuses on fine tuning technique and endurance for provincial performance (and above). Swimmers in Level 3 will be challenged in the areas of sprints, endurance and technique.
- Achieve all criteria of Level 2 plus…
- Swim 800m continuously in under 20 minutes
- Swim MB times in 100m free, back & breast
- Swim MB time in 50m fly
- Hold 1 provincial A time
- Working toward AA ManSask times
- Dryland training and extra pool sessions
- Participation in at least 6 swim meets per season (3 SC & 3 LC)
- 4 hours of practice weekly